Smoky Mountain Native Plants Association (SMNPA) is dedicated to helping people earn income through growing, collecting, processing, and marketing Appalachian native plants; and to preserving Appalachian native plants and culture for future generations. We implement our mission through research, education, economic development and community service.
- To abide by the rules and regulations set by public native plant regulatory bodies and private landowners.
- To simultaneously promote the use and preservation of Appalachian native plants.
- To increase the supply of Appalachian native plants through cultivation and propagation.
- To promote sustainable harvest of Appalachian native plants.
- To preserve local history and culture surrounding Appalachian native plants through education and preservation of local knowledge.
Smoky Mountain Native Plants Association (SMNPA) is supported by the American Reinvestment and Recovery Act, the Center for Disease Control, Community Foundation of Western North Carolina, The Conservation Fund’s Resourceful Communities Program, North Carolina Rural Economic Development Center, Z. Smith Reynolds Foundation, Office of Economic Opportunity / Catholic Social Services, Blue Ridge National Heritage Area, North Carolina MarketReady, Tobacco Trust Fund, the United States Forest Service, the United States Department of Agriculture, and Burt’s Bees.